December 17, 2012

Buckwheat Yogurt Breakfast Bowl


Breakfast is the hardest meal for me to choose. Growing up, it usually consisted of an open-faced ham or salami sandwich, which I now know is not the healthiest option and which, after seventeen and a half years of daily sandwiches as school lunches - they're easiest to handle in between classes - I can barely look at anymore. On the flip side, I'm not a sweet breakfast kind of person either, so just the idea of a muffin, waffle or some other sweet confection first thing in the morning makes my blood sugar spike.

Thankfully, over the last couple of weeks, I've found a great option and have since developed my own "recipe" for a healthy, satisfying, quick and nutritious breakfast: the buckwheat yogurt breakfast bowl.


The tartness of the yogurt, the subtle sweetness of the fruit and the crunchiness of the buckwheat are the perfect wake-up combination. And the best part is that, since it is chock-full of nutrients, it keeps me satisfied for longer than most other morning meals.

What are your go-to quick and healthy breakfast favourites? I'd love to know - I'm in dire need of ideas!

2 comments:

  1. mmm that looks so good!! I've never had buckwheat before but maybe I'll see if I can find some in the grocery store. I usually have oatmeal mixed with fruit, flax seeds and honey for breakfast. Since pomegranates are in season, I've been adding them to my oats most of this week. It's also pretty filling. I also like to have yogurt with pumpkin seeds and berries, which is pretty similar to your breakfast!! Hope you find lots of ideas. Oh, apples with cheddar cheese is also really nice for breakfast- not too sweet, but filling and healthy-ish. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Danielle, so many great ideas, thank you! Oatmeal is one of my favourites when I have 10-15 min to make it, especially with pomegranate, like you mentioned, since it's in season - I even blogged about it last year! Also, I just got some pumpkin seeds and I'll definitely try them in my yogurt tomorrow morning.

      Hope you're having a great day! :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...