May 25, 2014

Oodles of Gaggles


One of my favourite things about spring - besides, you know, everything (and especially the fact that winter is over) - is seeing the Canadian geese return home. I've noticed over the years that geese are quite the smart animals and they know exactly when to come home: they don't get fooled by those teasingly warm days at the end of winter that are always followed by yet another bitter cold spell before the real warmth arrives. So, seeing them, I know for sure that winter finally loosened its tight grip and won't return for many months.

This spring I had quite a special experience one morning when, on my way to work, I got to see - no kidding! - hundreds, maybe thousands, of geese returning home. Every way I looked, I could see more and more of them approaching from the distance. Though every year, I look up at the sky to spot the odd gaggle flying above my head, never in my entire life have I seen them in such great numbers. Sadly, being in a rolling car and with no camera on me, I didn't get to capture those special moments, but they are deeply imprinted in my memory and I hope that they will stay there forever, because it was truly an unbelievable sight to see.

I took this picture a few days later of one of the last gaggles I saw this year, and I know it will serve as a wonderful reminder of that experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...